Re: Dakota Comments & Questions.

From: rich_gambino@vnet.IBM.COM
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 09:24:39 EDT

>Is this right? There seems to be a clunking noise coming from the
>rear-end occasionally when I'm shifting gears, not all the time though.
>Is this normal for a truck,perhaps driveline slack? I can't say the gas
>
>Terry
>98 Sport Reg Cab
>V8 5SPD 3.91SG

Terry,

I have a '96 auto with the 3.55SG. I started to notice rear-end clunk
at about 10K miles. I took it to the dealer and they said "normal
backlash", but I have it documented. Now I have 24K and it's still
there but I don't think it got any worse... it just annoys me when I
hear it. On the auto it's very noticeable when shifting between D
and R while stopped, and also while coasting over bumps at slow speeds
(you can hear that rattling/slapping noise of the extra slack in the
rear).

I'm gonna take it back to the dealer again before the warranty is up.
Maybe I should take it to a shop for a second opinion first; to have
more ammo for the dealer. My only fear is if the dealer agrees to
fix it, then screws it up worse (that can't happen, can it!). I know
adjusting the backlash is tricky.

Rich