Re: Re:Dogs in Pickups

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 1997 - 23:06:36 EDT

>Rob,
>I think that you've been lucky with your Labs while riding with them in
>older vehicles, although it's safer in new ones. Read on. People have
>responded to me that they've read of cases where folks have died while
>riding in pickup truck caps . . . even without leaking exhausts. It's
>apparently an individual thing with various trucks, depending on such
>things as aerodynamics of the cap, whether the tailgate/window fits
>tightly, location of tailpipe(s) (before rear wheel/behind rear wheel/under
>bumper). I know that, when I was Safety Director at a major military
>installation, Dodge vans (full-size) had decals on the opening rear windows
>that warned against opening them while the vehicle is running. As you can
>imagine, this was a strong matter of interest, since we didn't want to end
>up with a bunch of dead soldiers when they arrived at their destination.
>Don't forget . . . carbon monoxide is odorless. As for today's vehicles,
>I do think that it would be less of a problem, since they burn so clean,
>producing little carbon monoxide compared to old vehicles. In fact,
>reportedly it's now very difficult to kill yourself in a closed garage with
>a modern vehicle running. According to one source, you're likely to run
>out of gas before you die.
>(P.S. - Please let me know what a Veri-Kennel is. Thanks.)
>
>Por Favore, Non Mi Rompere i Coglioni. Grazie!
>
>Dick C.

Dick:

If I'm lucky, there must be a whole bunch of lucky dogs in Canada ... I've
never heard of any animal being poisoned in a pickup truck and most people
running field dogs carry them enclosed in the back of a pickup truck.
Somehow I think the engineers that design the trucks have figured out that
lots of people install caps.
I'd be interested to hear what one of CC's engineers thinks of your idea.

It's not legal for a person to ride in the back of a pickup here.

I agree that you should never leave the rear window of any vehicle open
while it is being driven...that is in all the owner's manuals.

A Vari-Kennel is a fibreglass dog crate. I secure it to the floor of the
truck so up against the front if the box so the dog stays put.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada