IMPORTANT! (Here we grow again.)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 00:16:21 EDT

   Those of you who have been on the Dakota Mailing List since the
beginning (or for a while) know that it has bounced around from machine
to machine. Well, we're moving again, hopefully for the last time. The
nature of the list has also changed at the same time.

   Some of you know the major hassles we've had as a result of some people
at SUNY Fredonia, so a decision was made to move the list to a commercial
ISP. This will give us a *LOT* more reliability and put an end to the
beaurocratic and political hassles. Unfortunately, commercial ISP's
expect some compensation for using their machines and bandwidth. :-)
Before, the list costed nothing more than my own personal investment of
time. Now, it will cost about $10/month. (Plus some initial startup
costs.) As much as I enjoy the list, I can't really afford to support
it on my own. After some discussion with a some other list members, the
decision was made to go the PBS route. :-) That is, the list will
survive through donations from the members. I know, I know... I wish
there was some other way. I hate paying for stuff as much as the next
person, but everyone I talked to about paying to keep the DML alive was
quite receptive to the idea, and I think it'll work.

   The operating expenses will be about $140 for the first year, and $120
for each year after that. The good news is that, with a conservative
estimate of 330 members, the total cost per member would be about 36 cents
per year. :-) So, hopefully, raising the nescessary funds won't be a
problem. I plan to keep a status page on the DML Home Page that will say
how much money we've got, etc... If it starts getting low, I will send out
a post begging for more. :-) If you can't (or don't want to) send any
money, you don't have to. If you enjoy the list and you feel it is worth
a dollar or 5 bucks, (or whatever) per year to you, your donation would be
greatly appreciated. :-) Feel free to donate whatever you want. We're
fine for money for a while, but when I get around to making that page, I'll
put the nescessary information as to where and how you can send the green.
The point is, donating to the list is completely voluntary. This is not
turning into a "paying members only list". The only way not donating to
the list can possibly hurt you is when I run out of money and the list dies.
:-) Hopefully, it won't come to that.

    Again, I wish it didn't have to be this way, but I had to do something.
:-) With the large number of subscribers on this list, the cost per
person should be almost nil.

Now, on to the move:

  Here's the new information:

  The new address to send messages to the DML is:

  dakota-truck@buffnet.net

   The new administrative address will be majordomo@buffnet.net. The
subscribe/unsubscribe commands will be slightly different.

  I will automatically subscribe everyone to the new list after I send
out this message. That will then send out the intro file to everyone
through the new list. (This is the file you would get as a new subscriber
to the list, and it will explain about how to use it.)

  If you get this message, and you don't receive the intro file, it is
probable that you are not subscribed to the new list. In this case,
e-mail me and I'll send you the intro file, which will explain how to
subscribe.

     Unfortunately, with our current mailing list software (and the
current political situation) I have no way of knowing which of you are
subscribed to the digest version of the list. As such, everyone will
be subscribed to the "normal" version. If you'd rather be on the
digest version, you'll have to unsubscribe from tne normal list and
subscribe to the digest version. (The intro file will explain how.)
(If you prefer, you can send a message to me and I'll make the switch
for you.) I apologize profusely for this inconvenience, especially
seeing as how you just had to go through this same thing not very long
ago. Hopefully, this will be the last time. :-)

Also, you'll be able to subscribe, unsubscribe, etc. at this URL:
http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/CGI-BIN/dml.html

   Well, as of right now, dakota@ait.fredonia.edu is officially dead.
All messages should be sent to dakota-truck@buffnet.net.

   Oh, the reason for dakota-truck as opposed to dakota? There is
already a user at buffnet with the address dakota@buffnet.net. :-P
I wonder if I should ask them if they want to join? :-)

   Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

Here goes nothing. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.