Re: Cleaning Aluminum Wheels?? -Reply

From: Mike Crumley (a0020124@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 13:22:56 EDT

At 02:36 PM 9/22/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Try a product called Mother's Mag & Aluminium Polish (Mother's is the brand
>name). It is a cream type polish that you rub on and then wipe off. I used
>to use it for polishing chrome and aluminum on an 18-wheeler that got
>really dirty and there was nothing that it wouldn't clean up real quick.
>Last time I got some I got it at a truck stop but I think Mother's products
>are becoming more widely available so you might find it at a parts store.
>Highly recommended.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>Mike,
>
>This isn't simply dirt or mud. These are STAINS, chemically etched on the
wheels.
>I am afraid no amount of scrubbing or polishing with a cloth is going to
work. I am
>about ready to get out the 1500 grit wet sand paper and go at them!
>
>K.

Keith,

Not having seen your wheels, I don't know firsthand the extent of your
problem. And as others have pointed out if there is a clear coating on the
wheels it may require a different solution altogether. But Mother's polish
has a bit of a grit to it kind of like a rubbing compound. It won't scratch
or dull the finish, even chrome, but it does work down into the metal to
take out embedded stains. I have even gotten rust stains out of chrome with
it. I'm not trying to talk you into anything (I don't own stock in the
company or anything :=) ), I'm just sharing information. This stuff is not
your everyday kind of polish.

Anyway, you'll have to decide for yourself what to do. What ever you decide
I hope you have good luck getting the wheels clean.

Mike

--
Mike Crumley     a0020124@airmail.net