Msd's

From: dmagnum@ccs.netside.com
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 08:31:59 EDT

Ned wrote,

> for anyone else who's running MSD on a 96 or newer Dak (is
> Sean on the list?) I saw a post recently with someone else running MSD
> with an OBD-II truck. Anyway, I pulled the codes from my Dak's computer
> the other day (usually do it every month or so... usually get my standard
> 12,55 and this time got 12,43,55)... OBD-II table sez that code 43 is
> either a multiple cylinder misfire, a single cylinder misfire, or
> Ignition coil: Primary circuit current not acheived with maximum dwell
> time (I'm betting this is the one that applies to me). I highly doubt
> I've had any cylinder misfires as my truck has been running great! I'm
> guessing it has to do with the MSD ignition I put on the truck recently,
> and my question is: do I need to worry about this code?? Will it go away
> eventually (seems I've had a 12 code forever)?? Should I get the dealer
> to "flash" the computer so I reset all the codes??? Anyone else running
> MSD getting this code? The other thing the OBD-II table sez is that this
> code will illuminate the MIL (check engine) which I haven't seen at
> all... Questions, comments, ideas??
   Hey Ned,

   How are you reading the codes off your 96' Dakota's Jtec (with what device)?
   Were did you obtain the fault codes?
   I just read an article in the latest issue of Mopar Muscle in regards to aftermarket
   ignition systems. Basically this guy said not to use them due to the fact that it
   screws up fuel injector timing (uses distributer as a sync source). Bill and
   myself have verified this. They will slow your truck down at least 2 tenths in the
   quarter. I seem to think its due to a short duration lower current spark.
   If you fire more times than stock within a combustion cycle, you have to increase the
   time it takes to fire each spark decreasing duration. Also, basic law of
   transformers (ignition coil),
   If you change the input to output turns ratio, you will either:

   1. increase current and lower voltage (STOCK): More current, Fewer secondary turns
      smaller physical size

   2. increase voltage and lower current (MSD OR ACCEL) Higher output voltage, more
      secondary winding turns, larger physical size

   The new stuff for emissions requires long duration and higher current sparks. Thats
   why the newer style rotors are so wide as compared to its predicessor.
   This is my opinion. All I can say is that they don't work.

   Waiting for the weather to cool off here. Been to hot to get any good times.
   15.05 at 88.3 has been the best at 88 degrees. I'm getting real itchy. I may try
   an Accel. They claim more spark duaration and current than all the competition.
   Still waiting for the insurance company to release my 360 in a totalled 95 Ram so
   that I can do the swap. Anybody want a strong 318 with 12500 miles on it? Its
   spotless.

Stan
dmagnum@mail.netside.com