FW: Msd's

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 13:01:00 EDT

> How are you reading the codes off your 96' Dakota's Jtec (with what
>device)?

I read them using the standard ignition on-off-on-off-on sequence, and by
counting the flashes on the Check engine light. This has been a
documented way to read Mopar computer codes for a number of years.

> Were did you obtain the fault codes?

They are listed on Bob Allen's OBD-II DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) table
which he took from the 1996 Dakota Service manual (with which I confirmed
my codes) The table is available at:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/obd2.html

> I just read an article in the latest issue of Mopar Muscle in regards
to aftermarket
> ignition systems. Basically this guy said not to use them due to the
fact that it

Which issue of Mopar Muscle is it in?? I subscribe also, and would very
much like to read this article!

> screws up fuel injector timing (uses distributer as a sync source).
Bill and
> myself have verified this. They will slow your truck down at least 2
tenths in the
> quarter. I seem to think its due to a short duration lower current
spark.

I certainly believe what you are saying, and have read Bill's posts on
this as well. But there are people who have gotten performance *gains*
from their MSD units (Alan, in particular). I personally don't have
anything to measure with other than seat-of-the-pants (I don't race my
truck on the strip). Has anyone gotten any clarification of this or
suggestions from some of the ignition people (MSD, Accel, Jacobs, MP)??

> The new stuff for emissions requires long duration and higher current
sparks. Thats
> why the newer style rotors are so wide as compared to its
predicessor.
> This is my opinion. All I can say is that they don't work.

I don't want to discount your theory, and I certainly appreciate your
input, but in this case "they don't work" FOR YOU OR BILL, but they HAVE
worked for Alan. I'm wondering what Jules' input is on this?? (Jules,
you out there??)

I would really like to get some definitive answers here, this seems to be
a controversial topic. Again, I appreciate your input, and anything
further you have to offer.

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/Magnecor KV85 wires
Brass Cap & Rotor/Autolite Platinums/Blaster 3 Coil
MSD 6AL Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI w/Power Bridge
Pioneer DEH-65DH/Pioneer TS-A5705/TS-626/SAS Bazooka A82-80
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/