Drivetrain clanking

From: Ron Salzl (ronsalzl@uniserve.com)
Date: Sat Oct 04 1997 - 17:21:35 EDT

Hello all

It's been over a year since I was last on this list and as I see from the
archives on the website, it has grown tremendously. I have a 96 SLT
automatic, V8 4x4 3.9 diff. club cab. For the most part I like it a lot but
it's the dealer I am having a problem with. Can't fix anything but the only
one in town.

Ever since I got this truck brand new I have had a problem with a very nasty
clanking sound in the drivetrain. If it was the "normal" clunk everyone
complains about from backlash, I could live with it. This sound is a very
loud clank but on a rough road it is a continual clanking and sounds like
the whole darn drivetrain is going to fall out (and now I wish it would).
The problem is very intermittant and in two years I have determined:

ONLY happens when: (but not always)

*Outside temperature is above 10C (50F).
*Truck has to have traveled at least 25 km (15 miles.)
*Decelerating on pavement and hit a manhole depression or over railroad tracks
*Remove foot from accelerator gives one very loud clank but only after
driven for some distance.
*Continual loud clanking when going downhill on a moderately bumpy (or
worse) gravel road.
*Can make it come on easier if truck in neutral on bumpy road (Flat, or up
or down hill).
*Rarely happens if below 40kph or above 50kph (25-30 mph)

NEVER happens when:

*Temperature is below 5C (40F)
*Driven less than 20km
*Going uphill in gear
*When accelerating
*When in 4x4
*Rarely happens if below 40kph or above 50kph (25-30 mph)

First 5 times I have taken it in to the dealer he said it was normal or they
couldn't make it happen. Finally got a technician to ride in the box while I
was able to duplicate the noise. He was horrified and said it is definately
not normal but could not find the problem. All backlash tolerances o.k. They
took off the rear shaft and could not make it clank. He got hold of Chrysler
and they said to fill the driveshaft with foam to cut down on the clanking
sound. Maybe ear plugs would be an easier solution. Chrysler had no
recommendation of what foam to use so the tech was going to drill a hole in
the shaft and use builders Mono Foam. Give me a break. That stuff only flows
about 3" before it sets up. Didn't let him do it.

Has ANYONE had this problem before. My warranty is running out and it is
driving me crazy.

Dealer still can't fix my: wind noise by passenger door, squeeking dash,
hard cold start problem after many complaints either. Any advice on those
would be appreciated too if they have been previously discussed.

Thanks in advance

Ron Salzl
Chilliwack, BC