Re: "Breaking in" a factory engine

From: Geoffrey Hausheer (ghaushe@ichips.intel.com)
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 11:24:51 EDT

Just my $0.02 worth, but...
I used to help rebuild motorcycle engines for racing....turbocharged 600cc
yamahas mostly. We always broke our engines in on the Dynomometer, and did it
real easy. The reason for this was to allow the rings to seat the rings to
prevent grooving the cylinder walls, and to loosen the bearings without
causing them to get sloppy. Now admittedly we were running soft steel rings,
and I have been told that high carbon rings don't deform, but you should still
need to break in the bearings. I also make the further disclaimer that these
engines run in the 11.5k to 12k RPM range, and thus the entire design
philosophy must be entirely different than a 318 cui V8.
Geoffrey Hausheer
Intel Corp.
Hillsboro, OR