Re: Re: Sure-grip suggestions?

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 17:41:51 EDT

>Can I ask why there is any reason to drive a locker-diff on the street? The
>locker will make the cornering absolutely horrendous, and while it might help
>your starts a little, it hardly seems worth the price to pay. It is much more
>expensive than the "Sure-grip" (i.e. limited slip) rear end (at least the ones

You might be a little confused about what locker diffs we're talking about.
If you mean Detroit Lockers, or ARB Air-Lockers, yeah, their use on the
street is limited to extremes like snow and ice. Limited-Slip diffs like
the Sure-Grip are useful for performance launches, as there's a bit more
'give' in the system.

Torque-split diffs like the Torsen allow for a range of wheelspeed difference,
as any differential does, but actually put the torque to the SLOWER turning
wheel. A regular diff is pretty much all or nothing - the faster (outside)
wheel gets all the torque, and so, if it's spinning, it'll keep spinning.

Not that this matters to Dakota owners, but you don't find any street
applications of front-wheel-drive limited slips. The torque steer problem
becomes horrendous.

Jim