Re: Auto vs 5-spd; was Re: 1998 Dakota R/T (question about the R/T!)

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 19:48:30 EDT

<< 1st, autos have just as much power as sticks (The other day I pulled
 about a 8,000 lb trailer with a '86 Ram with an auto, and still had enough
 power to pass a guy going 40 mph in a 55, while going uphill, not to
 mention the fact it would pull the trailer at about 15 mph without even
 hitting gas), 2nd I've never been beaten at a stop light with a stock
 automatic (No mods) so I disagree with the less acceleration, 3rd, when
 pulling a trailer up a hill all you have to do is move the gear selector
 down a notch or 2 and it downshifts. 4th The only maintenence I've had to
 do to the Ram in the 7 years we've had it is to put new floor pan seals,
 which I consider normal maintenence on any tranny, stick or auto. 5th,
 the Ram which is a fullsize, 4X4, still gets about 18 MPG on the Highway,
 which is actually better than my brothers shortbed '96 Ford P/U with a
 stick (About 17 MPG). So the only arguments left is that a stick is more
 fun to drive, which is an opinion that I don't agree with, but you have
 the right to believe. Besides the fact that if your doing a lot of
 driving in heavy traffic, and/or have to stop on hills a lot, an auto is
 definitely the better tranny to have with all the stop and go. As far as
 the auto distracting people, I've seen just as many absent-minded people
 driving sticks as autos. Don't know about the theft thing, but I'd have
 to see the statistics to believe it. You might be right about the old
 people, but you know you'd do the same thing, try to keep your driving
 privileges as long as possible, I know I will. Later-

 Bruce >>

Now here is a knowledgeable person on both autos and sticks. Very well put
and I fully agree. I would love to hook up my 35 foot travel trailer to my
auto and have one of you 5 sp die hards hook up to one just like it and head
out side by side west on route 17, it would be very interesting watching you
fading away in my rearview mirror.

Bill