Re: Re: Shift points

From: Bob Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 21:05:07 EDT

WillTier@aol.com wrote:

>What kind of times have you run with the SS ? There are 2 or 3 guys with them
> that run often up where we race and they don't run to bad. I think their best
> times have been around 14.8. I know they have modified them some but I don't
> know how much.
>
> Bill

Stock the Impala SS runs about 15.10 to 15.25. I have gotten mine down
to 14.83 @ 94.8.

I have put a Borla catback exhaust on it. Cleaned up the intake. The
Impala comes with a very restictive intake in order to make it run
quiet. By cleaning up this intake you can get .1 to .2 in the quarter.
I have put in a 160 thermostat, the LT1 is very sensitive to heat. Have
also by passed the throttle body heat. Water flows from the back of the
head thru the throttle body and into the overflow tank. I have change
this to go straight to the tank and by-pass the throttle body. If you
know someone that has a LT1 take a look at the cooling system, it's
different. Chevy calls it reverse flow cooling. The water flows
through the heads first and then into the block. This lets the heads
run cooler than the block allowing them to run 10.5 CR and still use 87
octane gas.

I doubt if I run the Dakota much at the strip, I just want it a little
quicker on the street.

Bob Nicks
Cary, NC
95 Dakota V-8