Re: Auto vs 5-spd; was Re: 1998 Dakota R/T (question about the R/T!)

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 10 1997 - 10:15:51 EDT

> > 1st, autos have just as much power as sticks (The other day I pulled
> > about a 8,000 lb trailer with a '86 Ram with an auto, and still had
> enough
> > power to pass a guy going 40 mph in a 55, while going uphill,
>
> And a Dak wouldn't do that? How do you know? And, automatics DON'T always
> have as much power as sticks. The Ram with Cummins is a good example.
> Check it out. The Cummins in auto Rams is de-rated.

I didn't say a Dak wouldn't, I was speaking merely in defense of autos.
True, some autos don't have as much power as sticks, but then I've also
seen some autos that would outpull sticks, it all depends on what you get,
HD vs standard tranny.

> > not to mention the fact it would pull the trailer at about 15 mph without
> even
> > hitting gas),
>
> That's scary. How fast will it go at idle without the trailer? This
> sounds like "unintended acceleration." Better get it repaired.

It will go about 15, loaded or unloaded, it just has that much power I
guess, it doesn't accerate, it is just a constant speed.

> > 2nd I've never been beaten at a stop light with a stock
> > automatic (No mods) so I disagree with the less acceleration,
>
> OK, you're young and have better reaction time than the old farts (like me)
> you pick on <G>.

That may be true, btu I've taken off the same time in several situations,
but beat them when they went to shift, but of course they might not have
your shifting ability <G>.

> > 3rd, when pulling a trailer up a hill all you have to do is move the gear
> selector
> > down a notch or 2 and it downshifts.
>
> So . . . you DO have to shift <G>.

Very rarely.

> > 4th The only maintenence I've had to
> > do to the Ram in the 7 years we've had it is to put new floor pan seals,
> > which I consider normal maintenence on any tranny, stick or auto.
>
> Seven years could be 7,000 miles, or 70,000 miles. Or, whatever? And, I'd
> be willing to put money down that, in the long run, sticks are cheaper,
> even including clutch replacement.

7 years has been about 60,000 miles, has about 110K on it now, and shifts
like new, is still smooth as silk between gears

> > 5th, the Ram which is a fullsize, 4X4, still gets about 18 MPG on the >
> Highway,
> > which is actually better than my brothers shortbed '96 Ford P/U with a
> > stick (About 17 MPG).
>
> That's comparing apples and oranges. And, what do you mean "on the
> highway?" 45 . . . 55 . . . 65? For how many miles? Have you checked the
> accuracy of your odometer against highway mile markings? Have you changed
> tire size from stock? Even if you replace tires with same-size tires, most
> folks don't realize that different-brand tires THE EXACT SAME SIZE may have
> a different circumference!

On I-75 with a speed limit of 70, so of course I'm hitting about 80, from
Cohutta to Atlanta GA (About 120 miles), odometer is correct, and have
exact same size tires as came on truck (But want to put bigger tires on,
there is just to much empty space in the wheelwells

> > So the only arguments left is that a stick is more
> > fun to drive, which is an opinion that I don't agree with, but you have
> > the right to believe.
>
> I already stated this in my original response. And you didn't address the
> stick's advantage while driving on snow and ice!

OOPS, sorry I forgot about the snow and ice one, well we had a blizzard
here in GA about 4 years ago, got 2 feet of snow (Usually only get 2
inches of snow, so a big deal here) over several inches of ice. Put the
Ram in 4L and put it down in 1st gear, and it never spun a wheel, heck
pulled other people out of ditches, and it never spun a tire, only problem
we had was my brother got to going a little to fast around a curve and
lost control and went into snowbank (Which you think he would've known
better than go fast in snow, but oh well). Granted in 2 wheel drive, it
will spin quite easily, but I've yet to get it to spin a wheel in 4L, even
in axle deep mud, and i go down into our bottoms quite often to play in
the mud, and have yet to get stuck.

> > Besides the fact that if your doing a lot of
> > driving in heavy traffic, and/or have to stop on hills a lot, an auto is
> > definitely the better tranny to have with all the stop and go.
>
> OK . . . you win this one. Autos are better if you constantly drive in the
> city. But, stopping on any hill is just no problem! Haven't you ever
> driven a stick?

Yes, and I find them irritating if you have to stop on the side of a
hill, especially if someone pulls up right behind your rear bumper. An
auto will just sit there until you hit the gas don't even have to hold
brake, while you have to worry about rollback with a stick

> > As far as the auto distracting people, I've seen just as many
> absent-minded > people driving sticks as autos.
>
> In my defense, I put a grin (<G>) after that one <G>.
>
> > Don't know about the theft thing, but I'd have
> > to see the statistics to believe it.
>
> I don't know the stats, but my son's incident was funny. He and a
> co-worker were dropping off appliances in a real scummy section of
> Philadelphia
> (a lot of Philadelphia IS nice!), and the driver left the keys in the
> truck. While they were talking to the customer, they heard the grinding of
> gears, and turned to see a dirtball trying to drive their stick-shift
> delivery truck . . . and couldn't do it! The driver (a big guy) ran up to
> the truck, reached in the open window, and pulled the perp through the
> window and beat the hell out of him. Of course, most of the injuries
> occurred when the guy fell out of the truck <G><G><G>.

I must agree that is pretty funny, another case of a dumb criminal (BTW,
have you ever seen that show, America's Dumbest Criminals, it's hilarious,
can't belive some people are that stupid, I think that guy would be a
prime candidate.)

> > You might be right about the old
> > people, but you know you'd do the same thing, try to keep your driving
> > privileges as long as possible, I know I will. Later-
> >
> > Bruce
>
> You're right. But I hope that I'm honest enough with myself to stop
> driving "when it's time," like my mother did several years ago (after she
> pulled in front of an oncoming car and was broadsided. Fortunately, she
> had her safety belt on.)
> Please note that I qualifed my "really old" comment with the word "senile,"
> and I included "others."
>
> I enjoy these friendly debates.
>
> Dick (& Geri) Campagna, Mt Laurel, NJ campagna@nothinbut.net
> (Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni. Grazie!)

I enjoy a good debate also, and I agree that when my reflexes start
slowing down so that I'm a danger to myself and others, I will relinquish
the keys.

Later-
Bruce