Re: Auto vs 5-spd; was Re: 1998 Dakota R/T (question

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 1997 - 11:48:05 EDT

At 08:33 AM 10/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

><< Will Tier - The Cummins engine in the 5-speed Dodge Ram (which has a
> "granny" first gear) is more powerful than the Cummins in the automatic
> Dodge Ram. Apparently, the automatic can't take the engine's torque, so
> they have to de-rate it. Which one would ". . . fade away in (the)
> rearview mirror?" >>
>
>Never did care for them stinky, noisey hard starting diesels and am not
>familiar with them or their tranny's but I know a guy who has one and his is
>a automatic which he loves. Hauls a horse trailer back and forth to Florida
>and told me he just sets the cruise on 70 and kicks back, up hill down hill
>no clutching or shifting just relaxation. Says he leaves them sticks right in
>the dust looking for the right gear. I never knew him to be untruthful
>though...
>
>Bill

Spoke with my friend who owns an RV shop, re: Dodge Cummins, after watching
them pass all the Chevs and Ferds in the mountains, all pulling BIG 5th
wheels. It seems that the automatic is the transmission of choice for
towing mainly because of the gear ratios of the 5 speed...too wide a spread
in the higher gears.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.