Re: Auto vs 5-spd; was Re: 1998 Dakota R/T (questionabout the R/T!)

From: Carl Vidos (cvidos@io.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 01:32:44 EDT

Rob Agnew wrote on 10-Oct-97 10:48:05
>It seems that the automatic is the transmission of choice for
>towing mainly because of the gear ratios of the 5 speed...
>too wide a spread in the higher gears.

Do WHAT? Fourth gear in the manual is 1:1, just like THIRD gear
in the automatic. I dare the gear spread in the stick is
probably CLOSER than the manual.

Don't you auto guys just lock out overdrive when towing heavy
loads? We stick guys just don't shift into fifth. Same thing.

Carl (loving the stick vs. auto argument for the 20th time) Vidos