Re: Death of the manual,automanuals etc. (longish) Was: Re: Auto

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 10 1997 - 12:40:20 EDT

> At 02:03 AM 10/10/97 -0400, Andy Callahan wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >The 6-speed in the Camaro and Firebird allows for about a 3 mpg increase in
> >gas mileage over the auto. That's a pretty big difference. And they're a
> >lot of fun too:) Got to drive a '98 Corvette 6-speed this summer (buddy of
> >mine works at the Vette factory). I'd definitely get the 6-speed over the
> >auto.
> >

> Speaking of which... Did you know that the new Corvette comes standard
> with the AUTO? The manual is a hefty $815 OPTION! Unfortunately, I am
> afraid we will start to see this trend take over other makes and models.
> Lets face it... Most of the driving public wants an auto. We (standard
> fans) are the minority now, and if we want to go against the status quo,
> we're going to have to pay for it. (If the manufacturer is nice enough to
> even offer a standard.)
>
> As many of you probably know, I prefer a standard. I've seen a lot of
> good points come out during the latest 5 speed vs. auto debates. :-) I
> see one overall theme rising out of this whole thing. (Maybe someone has
> already mentioned it, and if so, I apologize. You have first claim to the
> movie rights.) ;-)
>
> My point is: One is not better than the other; and one will never be
> better than the other, especially when you factor in the emotional issues.
> There are some things that are just done better by the one than the other.
> Depending on the make and model of the transmission and the make and model
> of the vehicle it is mated to, some transmission types actually outperform
> the transmission which is commonly accepted to be better at that thing.
> (Yikes; good luck deciphering that one!)
>
> Anyway; whichever transmission we chose, it is always a compromise. We
> have to compare the capabilities of the auto to the stick and make a
> choice; there is no middle ground. (Lets leave "automanuals" out of this
> for the time being.) ;-) (Actually, I consider the "automanuals" to be
> automatics for
> this discussion; IMHO, in order to be anything other than an automatic, you
> have to push a clutch.) Well, while I'm on the subject of automanuals:
>
> They're interesting, but nowhere close to the point where I would give up
> a true manual to buy one. Here's the automanual I would buy:
>
> 1 3 5
> |-----|-----|========|D
> 2 4 R
>
> What you see is a standard manual pattern on the left, and an auto
> pattern on the right. The tranny and clutch design would be very similar
> to the ones already in automatics, and possibly identical to the ones in
> automanuals such as the Stratus. This design would have a clutch pedal,
> but it is now elecronically controlled. A potentiometer could be used to
> determine pedal travel (and hence control clutch travel). Since there is
> no direct linkage, why not make the clutch tension and activation zone
> [...]

All I gotta say is the tranny you're imagining would cost more to build
than the car would. I have my doubts about an autostick anyway, it just
doesn't seem like you could get it work reliably, but who knows they might
work better than an auto or a stick, don't know haven't driven one. I
think I'll stick with an auto.

Bruce