Re: Auto/5-Speed

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Fri Oct 10 1997 - 16:57:10 EDT

Tony Mastres -
----------
> From: Tony Mastres <mastres@id.ucsb.edu>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: DML: Auto/5-Speed
> Date: Friday, October 10, 1997 11:49 AM
>
> >D Campagna wrote:
> >And you didn't address the
> >stick's advantage while driving on snow and ice!
>
> What exactly are the advantages of a stick in snow and ice?

Tony, I hope this answers the mail: First, a little backgound. I've lived
in NJ since I got my driver's license at 17 (I'm 54), so I've driven in
many hard winters here. I've also driven from NJ to IN, and back, in a
snow/ice storm, and I drove from NJ to FL, when it was snowing most of the
way. I've never crashed a vehicle while driving on snow/ice. In addition,
I ran many autocrosses with many vehicles (including sports cars, coupes,
sedans, pickup truck and modified VW Beetles), also Malibu Grand Prix. (I
also drag raced at Atco Raceway, but that didn't include "handling.") I've
attended Bertil Roos's high-performance driving school (as have my wife,
son and daughter) as well as a behind-the-wheel EVOC (Emergency Vehicle
Operator's Course). Although it doesn't apply, you should also know that I
was an instructor for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It should be
obvious that I know more than a little on how to control a vehicle. The
advantage of a stick shift in snow/ice conditions is that the tranny shifts
when you want it to, rather than when you don't expect it to, which can be
critical on ice. For example, you're accelerating with an auto . . . barely
keeping the wheels from spinning . . . and the damn thing shifts, breaking
traction (@*(!&^%), causing the tires to spin. With a stick, you have
direct control over what the drive wheels are doing. It's like there's
less between your foot and the drive wheels. Some auto trannies are
better or worse than others in this regard. And I drove quite a few over
the years, including my first two cars (a Cadillac sedan and a 348 '58
Chevy that I drag raced) and all the office vehicles we had. The last
office vehicles we had before I retired in June were auto Jeep Cherokees,
which would've been better with a stick. In my opinion, of course.
Another advantage of stick over auto is that, when a car starts to slide,
and you turn into the slide (towards where you want to go), you should
disengage the drive wheel(s) so the vehicle freewheels. With a stick, it's
natural to simply push in the clutch. With an auto, you have to put it in
Neutral, which is not so natural.

> >D Campagna wrote:
> >You're right. But I hope that I'm honest enough with myself to stop
> >driving "when it's time," like my mother did several years ago (after
she
> >pulled in front of an oncoming car and was broadsided. Fortunately, she
> >had her safety belt on.)
>
> No offense but IMHO when you cause an accident it's PAST the time to stop
> driving. Apologies, but here in Santa Barbara, Ca extremely elderly
drivers are > a serious problem ( the ones who have lost their ability to
drive of course ) and > I'm reminded of that fact on a daily basis

You're right, of course. I wasn't clear with my statement. I meant to say
that I hope I stop driving BEFORE I have an incident like my mom had . . .
or any other incident. Although I rode motorcycles for years, and was
deeply involved in instructing, club membership and long-distance touring,
I had the courage to stop riding before I had "the big one" that most
motorcyclists eventually experience. Maybe I'll be lucky by giving up my
automobile driver's license in time, too.

Thanks for your comments.

Dick (& Geri) Campagna, Mt Laurel, NJ campagna@nothinbut.net
(Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni. Grazie!)