Distributor pickup question

From: Christopher M. Ruggiers (ruggiers@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 1997 - 14:59:26 EDT

Greetings all:

    After my 91 LE CC V8 would not start the other morning (despite all
my valiant efforts to discern why), I was forced to have it towed to my
local mechanic (I don't trust the local Dodge dealership service
department). Well, $160 later, the mechanic delivered my truck back to
me, reporting a bad distributor "pickup," the electronic equivalent to
points.

    However, now, even at WOT, the motor shifts gears at about 4000
rpm; I can force higher rpm shifts, but the motor feels like it has
simply run out of power. Took the truck back to the mechanic, who
checked the timing and found it set according to the specs under the
hood (10 degrees btdc). He didn't have an answer for the lack-of-power
problem beyond attributing it to my high mileage (115K).

Well, all I know is that it was running pretty well before the no-start
problem (regular second gear scratch and adequate giddyup-go), and now,
even tho' it fires right up, it runs like s**t. Don't think it jumped
time, but I guess it's a possibility. Anybody got any other ideas?

Chris
91 LE CC V8
K&N (and wanting more!!!)