Re: Carl Vidos

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 14:02:34 EDT

At 12:32 AM 10/13/97 -500, you wrote:
>Rob Agnew wrote on 10-Oct-97 10:48:05
>>It seems that the automatic is the transmission of choice for
>>towing mainly because of the gear ratios of the 5 speed...
>>too wide a spread in the higher gears.
>
>Do WHAT? Fourth gear in the manual is 1:1, just like THIRD gear
>in the automatic. I dare the gear spread in the stick is
>probably CLOSER than the manual.
>
>Don't you auto guys just lock out overdrive when towing heavy
>loads? We stick guys just don't shift into fifth. Same thing.
>
>Carl (loving the stick vs. auto argument for the 20th time) Vidos

Carl:

Have you driven a Ram with a Cummins diesel towing a 15,000 lb. fifth wheel
through the mountains? That's what my comments are about. You have snipped
just enough to give the impression to others the thread is about Dakotas.

I havn't either, but those are comments from a friend of mine who owns a RV
shop and deals with Ram owners on a daily basis. It was a legitimate
contribution to the threat at the time.

The purpose of this list is for open discussion and everybody should be
free to contribute without having someone else jump all over them for their
comments.

If you have some 'facts' to contibute to the Cummins discussion, I would
love to hear them.

Smile Carl .... we all own Dakotas, we just use them for different things.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada