Re: Re: Auto vs 5 speed

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 15:18:20 EDT

----------
> From: Jeff Pierce <jpierce@n2.net>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: DML: Re: Auto vs 5 speed
> Date: Monday, October 13, 1997 9:31 AM
>
> Since this thread won't die can I ask a question? My 92 V8 is the
> first automatic I've owned and there are times compression is needed.
>
> Onion Valley is a favorite hiking sport 8000 ft gain in 10 mi. Comming
> down I use 2nd gear or even 1st gear on the auto to allow the engine to
> do some of the breaking. The transmission gets HOT very HOT. With no
> trailer behind it cannot really break its own weight over that distance.
>
> I'd definately prefer the manual on those trips!
>
> Jeff

Jeff - Go to a transmission shop and tell them you want a LARGE
transmission cooler installed on your truck. This will be in addition to
the lines going through the bottom of your radiator. There are two schools
of thought on installing the new cooler. Some guys like to install them
BEFORE the radiator; some AFTER. Ask the shop guy for a recommendation.
If you lived in cold climate, I wouldn't have suggested the large cooler,
but you apparently live where it's warm, so don't have to worry about
overcooling the tranny. Good luck.

Dick (& Geri) Campagna, Mt Laurel, NJ campagna@nothinbut.net

(Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni. Grazie!)