Re: Tranny repl; was Re: Auto vs 5-spd; was Re: 1998 Dakota R/T (questionabout the R/T!)

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 20:36:24 EDT

Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:

> > Dick Campagna wrote:
> >
> > > ----------
> > > (questionabout
> > > the R/T!)

> (which
> > > has a
> > > automatic
> > > torque,
> > > so
> > > (the)

> and am
> > > not
> one
> > > and
> > > his is
> forth to
> > >
> > > Florida
> hill
> > > down
> > > hill
> > > sticks
> > > right in
> > > untruthful

> after
> all
> > > pulling
> > > BIG > 5th wheels. It seems that the automatic is the transmission
> of
> > > choice for
> wide a
> > >
> > > spread
> > >
> > > Rob, While that MAY be true (I don't know), the automatic is more
> > > problematic than the 5-speed under the diesel's big torque,
> according
> > > the folks on the various RV newsgroups/lists, who often tow 12,000
>
> > > pound
> > > trailers. So, in general, they have stated they prefer the
> stick. A
> > > big
> > > disadvantage for the stick, though (reportedly a German Getrag
> > > tranny), is
> > > that it reportedly has to be replaced as a unit if it goes bad,
> 'cause
> > > it
> > > can't be repaired! I'm not sure about that, either. I'm sure
> that'll
> > > cost
> > > at least a fortune.
> > >
> > > Dick (& Geri) Campagna, Mt Laurel, NJ
> campagna@nothinbut.net
> > > (Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni. Grazie!)
> >
> > To amplify on Dick's comments - Automatics do not perform as
> reliably
> > under extreme use conditions as manuals because of the heat
> generated
> > internally.
>
> Well all you got to do to fix this problem is order the heavy duty
> groupo
> and it includes a trans fluid cooler, so that really isn't a problem,
> besides I've seen tractor trailers with autos (And it don't get
> anymore
> extreme than that) and the drivers have said they've been pretty
> reliable,
> so i don't agree with that argument.

The point is automatics generate more heat and heat is destructive, plus
adding an additional cooler offsets the reliability increase (to some
degree) by adding additonal components to fail. Automatics are more
complex and more sensitive to contaminants than Stds, Run an automatic
hard when it's 2 quarts low for any length of time and you'll be
visiting Aamco soon. Granted it won't do a std any good either but it
will survive much longer.

KW