Re: Auto vs 5-spd; was Re: 1998 Dakota R/T (question about

From: T & J (starwolf@bewellnet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 18:19:28 EDT

> Don't know how old you geezers are but I've forgotten more bullshit
than I remember what was usefull.
> Volkswagens used to have what they called a "autostick" which was a
combination manual and an automatic trans. The clutch which it had was only
used during stops or starting out and all you did after that was shift to
the gears that were needed until you came to another stop again. It was
made around the mid '60's to early '70's and was a good idea in consept but
sucked for workability and relibility.
> in the '70's GM used a modified version on the racing circuit by using
actual clutching components and hooking (bolting) the clutch mechanism up
to an automatic and had great success

      starwolf@bewellnet.com