Re: 14" Mr. Gasket "Daytona" air cleaner?

From: Ron Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 21:00:43 EDT

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Jon Steiger wrote:

> A couple of people on the list have mentioned that they have
> the 14" Mr. Gasket Daytona chrome air cleaners, and they're
> happy with them.

  I've got one, but since I haven't ordered a K&N element yet, haven't
installed it. (HEY JULES, GIMME MY CATALOG! ;)

> Mr. Gasket's Daytona series catalog, but there are several 14" chrome air
> cleaners in there.

  I've got #9793, the "Custom 14" Air Cleaner." Subsequently, I saw a
"Performance 14" Air Cleaner," but don't remember the part #. The only
difference I could see is that the Custom came with a 2" paper element,
while the Performance came with a 3" paper element. Since I too am going
K&N, this didn't matter too much.

  I think the PCV fitting they supply is mighty cheesy, so I've been working
on enlarging the hole and sticking a grommet in there in order to use the
stock 5/8" T-fitting.

> that oil from the crankcase comes up through your valve covers,
> through the (PVC?) tube, and into your air cleaner.

  I've wondered about this myself, but at least one person on the list
had an identical setup, and merely had a very slight oil film in the
canister. None in the throttle body. I'm not going to worry about it.
I'll just keep my eye on the TB and keep it as clean as possible.

  Ron