Re: 14" Mr. Gasket "Daytona" air cleaner?

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 22:09:43 EDT

>On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Jon Steiger wrote:
>
>> A couple of people on the list have mentioned that they have
>> the 14" Mr. Gasket Daytona chrome air cleaners, and they're
>> happy with them.
>
> I've got one, but since I haven't ordered a K&N element yet, haven't
>installed it. (HEY JULES, GIMME MY CATALOG! ;)
>
>> Mr. Gasket's Daytona series catalog, but there are several 14" chrome air
>> cleaners in there.
>
> I've got #9793, the "Custom 14" Air Cleaner." Subsequently, I saw a
>"Performance 14" Air Cleaner," but don't remember the part #. The only
>difference I could see is that the Custom came with a 2" paper element,
>while the Performance came with a 3" paper element. Since I too am going
>K&N, this didn't matter too much.
>
> I think the PCV fitting they supply is mighty cheesy, so I've been working
>on enlarging the hole and sticking a grommet in there in order to use the
>stock 5/8" T-fitting.
>
>> that oil from the crankcase comes up through your valve covers,
>> through the (PVC?) tube, and into your air cleaner.
>
> I've wondered about this myself, but at least one person on the list
>had an identical setup, and merely had a very slight oil film in the
>canister. None in the throttle body. I'm not going to worry about it.
>I'll just keep my eye on the TB and keep it as clean as possible.
>
> Ron

HEy that was me with the film. Really it isn't as much as a film as it is
more like a stain. No oil feeling. I am very happy with my setup although
my "Daytona" had the recessed base and had to make a spacer to raise it up
enough. Be very careful which model you get. My element was the same for a
69 Camaro with a 350 (14x 3). Real tight fit new; real nice later.

Hope this helps!!!

Rob Robinson