The Dak is back

From: Craig Baltzer (cbaltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 22:18:16 EDT

Well the truck is back from the shop tonight ('97 reg cab, 4x4, 5.2l,
5spd). New mods are the Mopar performance cam kit (incs. roller
lifters), hd valve springs/retainers and the Mopar headers (on top of
the prev. K&N intake and custom cat back exhaust I already had). Some
quick observations for what its worth from my uncalibrated butt-o-meter
(I'll be out with the GTech within the next week or so if it doesn't
@#$%#$% snow up here) to get an "after" picture

* not much of an increase in exhaust noise over the straight "cat back"
system at idle and around town. A bit louder when I stand on it, but not
objectionable
* substancial increase in intake noise when using the loud pedal to its
potential
* low end torque is pretty much the same; mid range (2.5K+ RPM) and high
end (3.75K+) is noticably improved. I can actually get rubber at any
time in first just by nailing the throttle (and not by "bumping" it by
getting right out of the trottle and then back in). Also a nice stratch
getting into second (prob 3-5 seconds of rubber in second with the stock
31" tires)
* trottle response is tremendously better throughout the power band
* rev limiter is way too low with the stock computer. And yes, you
guessed it, the Mopar computer will be available "sometime around XMas"
(no info on what century though).
* motor really pulls hard above 3.5K; the factory rev. limiter kills the
party at 5.2K but its still pulling hard

It took the shop 3 days to put everything together; prob. actually 2
days of work there if you went at it full tilt. Parts cost was around
$1.7-1.8K Canadian (including all of the "junk" like new gasket sets,
etc, etc, etc). The only "problem" area was getting the headers
connected to the stock exhaust system/cat; there was some custom
fabrication required there.

FYI, the stock pipe coming off the manifolds to the exhaust system is
very restrictive; its "press bent" and at spots has a diameter of no
more than 1.8-2.0" max.

Anyway, this is wwwwwaaaaayyy too much fun now...

Craig

Craig Baltzer - Anjura Technology Corp - Ottawa, Ontario
cbaltzer@anjura.com - (613) 727-1411