318 oil leak (was:Technical Questions)

From: Gregory M Smith (gmsmith@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 11:55:06 EDT

I, too, thought that my '93 318 was leaking oil from the rear main. Upon
further inspection the last time I changed oil, I noticed that the starter
was oily and it appears that the oil is running down the left side of the
engine at the rear. Since then, I haven't really looked much closer, but,
I'm guessing that the location of the leak may be around the distributor
shaft. George, when you say that your oil leak was at the seal at the
back of the intake manifold, could you possibly be referring to the
distributor shaft seal? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I
plan on scrutinizing the leak further to try to pinpoint it's location
prior to taking it to a Dodge dealer (other than Shelby Motors in
Champaign, IL) to get it repaired.

Thanks!

Greg Smith
'93 Dakota LE Club Cab 4x2 V-8