RE: RE: 98 Dakota's

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 1997 - 16:35:27 EDT

At 03:01 PM 10/21/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Bruce Aaron Hefner [SMTP:gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu] wrote:
>
>> [...] how much is gas in Canada, I know here in Atlanta price is
>> anywhere $.989 to $1.099 a gallon for regular unleaded.
>
>Gas here (Ottawa) costs .539-.609/L (~$2.50 CDN/gal. = $1.80 US/gal.).
>Regular, of course (what else would you put in a Dak?).
>
>Since you mentioned that gas where you live is nudging the dollar-per-
>gallon mark: according to some guy I know who was actually driving at
>the time, the metric system was rammed through when gas hit $1CDN/gal.
>(circa 1975), so that it could be priced per litre.
>
>Apparently, gas price signs were the very first thing (before road signs,
>liquor bottles, etc.) to change after the law was passed. Maybe your days
>of non-metricness are numbered. <grin>
>
>cheers,
>mike

Hey Mike:

Not wishing to start a debate about the virtues of the grades of gasoline,
but I run 89 octane in my Dak (although it will run on regular 87) because
of the general deterioration in the quality of gasolines over the years. I
buy Cheveron exclusively and you get a bit more of the 'good additives' in
higher octance fuel.

I've seen the technical writeups from Mercury Marine (have a 1983 Merc OB)
and the owners manual recommended 'regular gas only' in 1983. Now Mercury
recommends 89 octane for the same outboard. There are all sorts of good
reasons for this that I can't remember. This recommendation is also for
their sterndrives.

I believe that the US backed out of metric conversion back in the late '70s
or early '80s. Remember those half metric vehicles that you never knew
which wrench would fit? I'm sure our southern friends can comment further
on this.

Have a good one.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com