Re: RE: 98 Dakota's

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 10:15:21 EDT

> Hey Mike:
>
> Not wishing to start a debate about the virtues of the grades of gasoline,
> but I run 89 octane in my Dak (although it will run on regular 87) because
> of the general deterioration in the quality of gasolines over the years. I
> buy Cheveron exclusively and you get a bit more of the 'good additives' in
> higher octance fuel.
>
> I've seen the technical writeups from Mercury Marine (have a 1983 Merc OB)
> and the owners manual recommended 'regular gas only' in 1983. Now Mercury
> recommends 89 octane for the same outboard. There are all sorts of good
> reasons for this that I can't remember. This recommendation is also for
> their sterndrives.
>
> I believe that the US backed out of metric conversion back in the late '70s
> or early '80s. Remember those half metric vehicles that you never knew
> which wrench would fit? I'm sure our southern friends can comment further
> on this.
>
> Have a good one.
>

> Rob Agnew
> ragnew@islandnet.com
>
> Victoria, B.C.
> Canada

Hey rob, you're absolutely right about the half metric vehicles, I
remember my brother had to buy a complete metric socket kit because 2 or 3
bolts on his old truck were metric and he couldn't get anything to work on
them. You're rigth about the fuel also, but at 10 cents a gallon
difference on a college students budget, I usually get the 87 octane.

Bruce