Re: lowering the rear

From: CNTRYSNGR (CNTRYSNGR@YadTel.Net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 15:51:35 EDT

Michael Clark wrote:

> hey guys with all this talk about lowering I thought I'd ask this. How
> difficult (expensive) would it be for me to lower just the rear end
> maybe 2 inches at most to level out the truck? How is the best way to
> do this blocks? hangers? what are they anyway....
>
> thanks.
> --
> Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
> '93 MarkIII 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto
> MP SBEC, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat-back dual
> Doug Thorley Headers, Moroso Blue Max wires
> http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html
> http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/webring/ring.html
Blocks would probably be the easiest and cheapest route, plus you won't
loose as much ride with them. All blocks are, are basically spacers
that go between the leaf springs and the rear end. They lift the rear
closer to the frame in order to lower the truck. Hangers and shackles
attach the leaf springs to the frame. Hangers attach at the front, and
shackles attach at the rear. I haven't really looked at a set of them,
so I couldn't tell you for sure the difference between lowered and
stock. My guess is they are built a little shorter in order to bring
the location of the springs closer to the frame. A friend of mine who
lowers trucks told me that using hangers and shackles give a harsh
ride. I can tell you from experience that blocks aren't too bad, even
with four inches of block under mine!