Re: RE: Fuel

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 09:58:50 EDT

> >You're rigth about the fuel also, but at 10 cents a gallon
> >difference on a college students budget, I usually get the 87 octane.

> I understand your reasoning, but it may be false economy... as my outboard
> mechanic says 'you can spend a little bit more at the pump now, or have a
> big bill at his shop later' - take your choice :) ... with outboards the
> big problem is coking, using cheap grades of 2 cycle oil will also promote
> this problem.

  2-strokes are a different issue entirely. In the US (don't know
about Canada), all grades of gasoline must contain "additives to
reduce injector and intake deposits," and have since 1991.

  That doesn't mean manufacturers won't specify a different additive
package in their higher octane grades, of course. But higher octane
gasolines are intended to prevent preignition, nothing more, nothing
less. If our student friend's truck isn't pinging on 87, there's no
need to run more expensive fuel.

  FWIW, I've had excellent luck running the manufacturer's specified
octane level (including 87 octane in my stock 5.2 Magnum, at least
in the summer) in all my vehicles. Have to run 93+additive in the
boat!

  Ron