Re: RE: Fuel

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 11:51:54 EDT

At 09:58 AM 10/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
> 2-strokes are a different issue entirely. In the US (don't know
>about Canada), all grades of gasoline must contain "additives to
>reduce injector and intake deposits," and have since 1991.
>
> That doesn't mean manufacturers won't specify a different additive
>package in their higher octane grades, of course. But higher octane
>gasolines are intended to prevent preignition, nothing more, nothing
>less. If our student friend's truck isn't pinging on 87, there's no
>need to run more expensive fuel.
>
> FWIW, I've had excellent luck running the manufacturer's specified
>octane level (including 87 octane in my stock 5.2 Magnum, at least
>in the summer) in all my vehicles. Have to run 93+additive in the
>boat!
>
> Ron

Ron:

You snipped the Mercury Marine 89 octance fuel reccomendation from my note
for stern drives .... these are four cycle automotive engines modified for
marine use. The 89 octane recommendation also comes from my Chrysler
dealer and my automotive mechanic...reasoning is the same regarding the
quality deterioration of regular gas. I also talked to the tecky boys at
Chevron Canada and they agreed .... yea, I know, so they can get more
money. They suggested adding bottled Techron (at $12/bottle) if I ran
regular fuel.

Coking in a 2 cycle is carbon buildup caused by poor quality fuel and/or
oil. Carbon buildup will also occur in 4 cycle engines.

Brunswick Corp. (Mercury Marine) is a US company and the marine engines are
exactly the same in both countries. I have driven in the US and have
noticed significantly differences (ie. pinging) in 'regular' gas depending
upon where I bought it. I don't believe that 'all regular is created equal'.

I'd rather pay a few cents more at the pump now, than a major engine repair
a few years from now. But then I also change my oil every 3,000 miles,
have it serviced regularly and safety inspected annually. My experience
has taught me that it is cheaper to buy new, take care of the equipment and
keep it for a long time.

By the way, my wife's Sundance pings like mad on 87 ... Chrysler recommends
87 for that car.

Cheers.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com