Re: RE: US Metric

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 10:36:08 EDT

> Guess that'll make the US the only country in the world that is not metric
> :). Glad to hear you were taught both systems in school Bruce. I remember
> learning both in high school back in the '60s. But, I still think in
> imperial measure (miles, feet, inches, acres, gallons etc.), then convert
> to metric.
>
> I wouldn't throw away your metric tools, I think we're all going to need
> both sets for years to come.
>

> Rob Agnew
> ragnew@islandnet.com
>
> Victoria, B.C.
> Canada

Well, the U.S. is notorious for doing things differently, why should this
be any different? I do the same thing, I think in imperial, then convert
to metric, but of course I've learned to think in metric when I have to
(In science and math classes, I'm studying to be an engineer, so I'll be
using both science and math a lot so I guess I'll have to get used to
it.)... You are definitely right about the metric tools, the only thing I
hope for is the day the car manufacturers go completely one way or the
other, it's so irritating to be working on your truck, everything's going
great then you run into the one bolt that's metric, and you have to go
find the metric tool kit, then spend 30 minutes trying to find the right
socket in the disorganized mess I call a toolbox. If that day comes I'll
be jumping for joy as I get to throw one set out (metric or imperial, I
don't care which, just as long as I can get rid of one of them.).

Bruce