Re: Got my K&N installed!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 25 1997 - 01:41:11 EDT

At 09:31 AM 10/24/97 -0400, Rader wrote:
>> I got a 14" Mr. Gasket chrome air cleaner at Parts America and a 14x3"
>> K&N filtercharger filter.
>
> You're a quick one. I haven't even bothered to order my K&N element
>yet, mainly because I'd like to order a rear anti-sway bar and maybe
>even cat-back or muffler exhaust components at the same time, and I
>haven't decided exactly what to do. So my Mr. Gasket can is sitting
>on the floor at home!

  Heh heh heh! Yeah, I got the itch, and scratched it as soon as possible.
:-) This was a (relatively) cheap mod, so that helped. :-)

> Jon, what part # did you order for the 14x3 K&N element?

  Fortunately, I didn't have to order it; Parts America had one in their
display case. It is an e-1650, and the sticker says "for GM cars and
trucks, '66-'84" Too bad GM; it works in my Mopar too. :-)

>> My craftsmanship won't win any awards, but it got the job done.
>
> Tell me about it. I'm embarrassed to show anyone the big oval hole
>I made. Too bad I just told the entire Internet about it.]

  :-) I kept your post in mind while I was doing it, to be sure I
didn't do the same thing. So, I learned from your mistake, if thats
any consolation. :-)

>> (The metal plug in the filter was a pain to take out though!)
>
> Hint: go get a set of cold chisels. That makes removing knockouts
>easy.

    What's a cold chisel? I was trying to figure out how to take it out;
I thought maybe I'd brace it against something and use a chisel or a
screwdriver and a hammer to knock it out, but it quickly became apparent
that the metal would get bent if I did that. I ended up grabbing my drill
and putting a hole in the middle. I stuck a screwdriver through the hole
and twisted it. That got half of it out, but the other side didn't want to
seperate from the air cleaner, so I ended up having to rip it out with a
pair of pliers. The edge was pretty raggety. (And hard to file!)

>> 1/4" x 4 1/2" coarse thread bolt which was nearly identical to the stock
>> hold down bolt. (At the risk of sounding completely stupid, it had that
>> "square thingie" near the bolt head.)
>
> A carriage bolt? Hmmm, not a bad idea. I don't have easy access

  Yup! I think that might be it...

>to a vise, and will make an S-bolt once I can scrounge one up, but
>this sounds like a good, quick stopgap. Thanks.

  Sure. :-) I do have access to a vise, and that's how I was planning
to do it, but it sounds like this could be a pain! How are you planning
on making it? Just bend it? Are you going to use any heat? I'm
definitely not looking forward to making that S-bolt. :-P

>> I used a cardboard-like washer on top of the air cleaner so that I
>> wouldn't scratch the chrome top with the butterfly nut.
>
> Another hint: I don't trust the wingnuts to seal that hole very well,
>and any autoparts store should stock some nice rubber-bonded-to-steel
>washers for the express purpose of sealing the top of your air cleaner.
>I got one at a local Advance for $1.50, relatively expensive, but it
>will seal the hole and also prevent scratches in the chrome.

  Thanks! I'll check that out! (I wonder if that will reduce that
whistle? Hmmm....

>> The 3" is a much tighter fit... I'm still not sure about how to
>> measure the clearance I've got left (if I have any left at all).
>
> You could put some chalk or something on the top of your air cleaner
>and see if it marks the hood liner. I'm more worried about the hold-
>down bolt. Did you have to cut any off? I sure don't want to poke
>a hole in my hood first time I close it.

   I was able to determine that the air cleaner does indeed contact the
hood liner. I haven't been able to figure out what kind of pressure is
being exerted there, but I don't think its a lot. The hold down bolt
wasn't any problem at all. The stock one was 3 1/2 inches. When I
went to the store, I got a 4" and a 4 1/2" bolt. I tried the 4" first,
but it was too short. The 4 1/2" worked great, and it doesn't seem to
contact the hood liner at all. (I checked for holes or depressions
the first time I closed the hood.) The "problem area" is the very front
part of the air cleaner. That's where the contact happens.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.