Tires for 98' 4X4

From: Christopher Freiburger (cfrybrgr@andersontire.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 02:02:24 EST

Hello there!

Just noticed that there has been a lot of tire talk going on lately and just
wanted to contribute my most recent experience. Anyway, I have just bought
a 98 4X4 Club Cab and my first mission was the tires as I am in the tire
business. We've done alot of different types of vehicles in the past...
But doing up this truck has been a real experiment I must say.

The truck comes equipped with Goodyear Wrangler RT/S 31 X 10.50 R15. I
thought the tires were too small and not very agressive. I wanted "bigger"
because the truck seem to have sufficient clearence to go up one size. I
selected the BRIDGESTONE DUELER A/T in a 32 X 11.50 R15 which will make your
tires 1 inch taller and 1 inch wider. This tire is quite an agressive tread
design and I thought my new ride was going to look awesome! Except two hic-ups:
1. Balancing
2. Tires Rubbing

Balancing:
Took me about two times to get it right, the new tire's spec calls for a 9"
rim where as the factory rims are only 8 1/2". I didn't feel that this
posed a threat to balance but it sure did when got on the truck. The tires
just as I predicted looked awesome but the ride was somthing else. So I
balanced them for the second time and decreased air pressure from 35 to 30.
This cured alot of the problem other than the slight hum of an aggressive
tread pattern on the highway. (Nothing a little volume can't cure) But I
still had one other problem.

Tires Rubbing:
The tires had ample clearence as far as hieght went but the edges of the
tires were periodically catching on the inside firewall at the bottom. And
if you cranked the wheel fully either way and then try to drive, it would
really rub. This problem was not going to go away so I started enquiring
about spacers and lift kits. I didn't get too far as all the people I spoke
with recommended that I stay away from doing such things as they could and
will void waranty. I couldn't afford to take that chance with a brand new
truck so I went back to the original tire size (31 X 10.50 R15) but still in
the same Bridgestone Dueler A/T. The truck still looks real good, not too
much of a standing hieght difference.

One other thing I might mention getting back to Balancing... Because this
was going to be third time the tires would be balanced you notice that your
chrome rims are starting to get hacked by hammering on wheel wieghts.
(because stick ons never hold - at least not on my truck!) So I got smart
and used a new Product called MAGNUM Balancing compound. What it is
basically is a sand like substance which is wieghed out specifically for
your size of tire and is poured into the tire before it is aired up. The
"sand" circulates in your tire as you drive and evenenly balances your tires
as you are driving. There is a slight chance that if your truck has been
sitting for a while the first few yards may seem bumpy but it will all
eventually level out. This product is geared more to the Transport truck
industry but it does have its application in the light truck/sport utility
market in today's tire world. My own personal experience is that it works
fabulous! The best part about no longer having to wreck my new rims with
wieghts is that I don't even have to look at them (the wieghts that is). My
truck looks so much better.

The company I work for; Anderson Tire & Treads Inc. is a distributer of
both Magnum and a similar Product called EQUAL. If anyone would like to
know more about either of these products or want to ask any other tire
related questions I will be more than happy to help you out.

Just one more thing, to answer the ongoing "skinny" or "fat" tire debate
that has been on going with this group:

It is a well known fact that in the winter time it is far better to have a
smaller, skinny tire rather than a big fat one. You lose alot more control
in snow with big tires where as narrow tires can be steered and manouvered
far better especially in tight situations. Big is better in the mud or if
you are really stuck somewhere but as far as day to day driving in snow,
stick with narrow.

Later,

Chris Freiburger
cfrybrgr@andersontire.ca