New Dakota Quirks

From: John Neff (jndneff@flash.net)
Date: Sat Nov 08 1997 - 00:14:35 EST

All,
I have now had my new Dak for 12 days and 550 miles. I have a few little
things that I have found and would like to share with you folks.
1) The truck rode rougher than I felt was right and the outside edge of
the rear tires were clearly not making contact with the road. So, I
checked the manual and found that Dodge recommended 35psi on front and
rear tires, 31X10.5, for light to heavy load. Mine, were 42 rear and 43
front. Let some air out, much better and all of the tire is contacting
the road.
2) Into the third tank and getting 13.3 mpg. Most of it short trips and
stop and go. So I'm not to worried, though I still expect it to improve
after a couple of thousand miles.
3) I need to take it back to the dealer for the rear drivers side fender
flare as it is not stuck down to the body on the backside.
4) This is one that bugs me. When turning sharply and hitting a bump,
such as turning into a drive way, I sometimes get a thump from almost
directly under my feet if turning left, and under the passenger side if
turning right. I'm thinking maybe the torsion bar adjuster seat. How
about the rest of you 4X4 types?
5) This one slightly frightens me. I have had it stutter and hesitate
two times when it was cold. Once about 6 days ago in the morning, the
other time today at lunch (2pm). It hits right at 2000 rpm, for about 5
seconds, then clears up and no more problems. Now my 200,000 mile
carburated Toyota did this when stone cold and my '88 garage kept, in
need of a tune up very badly Trans Am GTA does this also, but I do not
expect, nor will I settle for this on a brand new truck. I remember
someone else talking about this and I will bring it up with the service
dudes at the dealership, but I am afraid they will give me a NFF as it
is very intermittent and impossible to reproduce once warm.
6) Last one may be easy. How do you get the computer to spit out codes?
I tried the ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON in 5 seconds with the ignition, but get
nothing, just the radio and my mileage. Is there a trick for the 98's
that no one knows about yet? I know that Dodge added some extra
diagnostic ka-ka under the steering column so the mechanic can sit in
the truck in his greasy clothes instead of playing under the hood. But
did it change the diags also?

Anyway, I'll anxiously await your responses.
John,
'98 Dak, CC, Sport, 4X4, 5.2L, Auto(!), 3.92, LSD, Nerf Bars, Billet
Grill, and power everything!

P.S. Jim Phillips, I will try and get the stock grill inserts out to you
on Monday. I'll email the postage amount once they are in the mail.

--
remove ^'s to reply