Re: ferd v chebby

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 10:42:43 EST

> thought youse guys would find thia as amusing as i did.
> culled from another list i'm on.
>
> An amusing story related by a coworker - Two of his buddies were
> having the drunken "who's truck is stronger" argument. The owner
> of a new 4wd Ford pickup claimed he could pull his friend's Chevy
> backward down the street. They squared off rear bumper to rear
> bumper in the street. Chev owner wraps a heavy chain around his
> hitch (smart). Ford owner wraps the other end around rear axle
> housing (dumb). To make matters worse, after they take up the
> slack, Chev owner plants his feet firmly on the brake and tells his
> friend to go ahead and pull. Now it's not a question of which is
> the powertrain with more torque, but whether or not the Ford can
> drag the Chevy down the street with 4 wheels locked against
> rotation. Turns out it can't. Also turns out the frame attachment
> points for the rear axle can't handle the load and he rips the rear
> out of the truck (not covered by warranty). Want to buy a low
> mileage used Ford pickup?
> Scotty
>

> <---- End Forwarded Message ---->

All I can say is that neither one of them was real bright, about the dumbest thing I
ever heard of, well I take that back, one of my dad's friends was going across a
river crossing in an old 4WD Ford, got it stuck, so then they backed a dual-wheeled
tractor up to it, threw a chain around the front axle, popped the clutch on the
tractor, front axle was yanked right out from under it, truck never did move, the
front just fell into the water. Now that's dumb, especially when you take the time
to consider how much torque tractors like that have (It's one of them that take up 2
lanes on a road). Of course this guy never has been to smart, this is the sam guy
who the day he buys a new tractor trailer (100K+) he rolls it off the side of a hill
before he gets home, it was still driveable, but it definitely didn't look new
anymore. Later-

BTW, it is my contention that a full size Dodge truck would've beaten either one of
them when properly hooked up, heck a V8 Dak probably would. Because Chrysler V8's
have torque out the wazoo, I remember some article in a magazine a few years back
that was talking about a new Ram and how "It has enough torque to pull Rhode Island"

Bruce