Dak's rear brakes

From: William Hatch (wkhesq@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Nov 23 1997 - 09:12:28 EST

Bob,

first, I can only guess because your cry in the dark for help is coming
from the dark. What year, what size rear brake shoes or do you have rear
calipers?

My '87 and still running strong, has a weight sensing valve just ahead
of the left rear leaf spring. Two lines come back from the proportioning
valve and I am presuming that when the prop valve was changed they kept
the lines coming from and going to the correct places on each valve. If
that is all OK I would first re-bleed the rear brake height/weight
valve, then the RR wheel cylinder and finally the LR. Now you need to
PERHAPS make an adjustment to the height/weight valve. You see, as you
add weight to the back of the truck, the Dodge engineers want your rear
brakes to receive more hydraulic force so your Dak will stop evenly.

I have rebuilt limited slips but I don't think I can explain accurately
how they exactly work. I'd suggest you change the differ fluid and use
the factory stuff (both front and rear differs). The one or two that I
tore into - and on much bigger a truck, had a clutch pack similiar to
that found in an automatic. My memory of this is at least 25 years ago
back in the good old pre-attorney days.

Now before any of you start on me for being an alleged sleaze, go to
your crawler and input "lawyer jokes". Then go see "The Rainmaker." If I
was not so old and ill, I'd go back to being a truck mechanic in a
fluttering heartbeat.

P.S. I installed Clifford headers, prop valve, lines, new rear brakes,
new starter, new oil pan, new shocks and snubbers and again, I'm out
plowing the storm. 40 years of plowing in everything made or adapted to
plowing. Narrow is better with big lugs if the snow is deep and an
all-season tread design if you drop your blade on real hard-pack snow.
Then chains will do either but I do not want detached retinas, nor do I
want to beat the inner fender panel to death with a loose chain link.
Yeah! I wish I had kept my Walters Sno-Fighter with dual wing blades.

I am interested in tossing my 2 barrel into the local cess pool. NAPA -
which means no automotive parts available - ha ha, says they have no
replacement carb. Cost prohibitive to change over to fuel inject;
therefore, any suggestion on a replacement carb would be appreciated.

Best, wkhesq@worldnet.att.net