Wiper blades

From: Lloyd W. Christianson (rtkba@JUNO.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 23 1997 - 14:08:18 EST

This is not exactly Dakota specific, but it does deal with my Dakota.

About a month ago, I sent my daughter out to wash the windshield of my
Dak.
She grabbed a bottle of cleaner, and did her thing. Turns out she used a
product called Top Job (Proctor & Gamble) instead of glass cleaner. We
finally got that straight after sending her out for the third time
because there were streaks all over the windshield. A couple of days
later, on a trip to Roanoke ( about 4.5 hours) in the rain, The wipers
started depositing rubber on the windshield and of course with that,
started getting great traction as they tried to wipe off the deposited
rubber. I stopped and tried to clean off the rubber with Windex but was
not very successful. After arriving in Roanoke, I got the rubber off the
windshield with some household cleaner my sister had and then bought new
windshield wipers. On the trip back to Norfolk - more rain - more rubber
on the windshield from the new wipers. I called Proctor & Gamble and was
assured that Top Job was safe to use on rubber products. I cleaned the
rubber from the windshield with alcohol (did a good job)and followed the
alcohol with window cleaner. I then bought new Bosh Micro-Thin blades
and arms. Friday, on a trip back from Richmond - in the rain - the third
set of blades started to deposit rubber on the windshield. The only
other thing I can think of is the windshield washer fluid I'm using which
is called 'Basic Blue' and is a pre-mix purchased from K-Mart which I've
used before with no problems. The thought of acid rain also just occured
to me, but I don't know.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to
purchase new wipers everytime I drive for a couple of hours in the rain!
Wayne
RTKBA@juno.com
95 SLT, Extended Cab, 4X4, V6 Auto, K&N FIPK, Terminator Muffler,
Autolite Double Platnums