Re: Warranties

From: acasey@io.com
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 03:40:04 EST

> Hi Nick,
> Personally I would rather pay the extra $550 and get the factory
> extended warranty, I mean true sometimes the dealerships sometimes give
> you the runaround but ususally they will fix your problem eventually, who
> knows how Edmunds is going to treat you. i say go the factory warranty
> route.....
>
> Bruce

First of all Bruce, Edmunds does not do extended warranties. Second,
if your interested in an extended warranty, compare them by what they
cover. The extended warranty I purchased through the dealer when I
bought my truck sucked. If it was not specifically stated on the
contract then it was not covered. Example, the shift tower was not
covered because it was not considered to be part of the transmission,
and the warranty covered the entire powertrain including the
transmission but not the shift tower.
I would make sure that the components of the truck are explicitly
listed. If not they have an out. Of course some companies are
better than others. Warranty Gold has been around for quite a while
so you should be able to find some references for them. One plus for
going with a 3rd party warranty service is you don't have to have the
work done at the dealer. Which in my book is a huge PLUS.

Alan...