Re: : Re:Kick a mustang (was Dakota puchase questions)

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Sat Nov 29 1997 - 11:58:33 EST

>>At 08:23 AM 11/29/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>>I'm not doubting you at all Rob, but I just don't see how a truck weighing
>>>in at just under 4000 lbs. with (let's say) 255 hp can beat a car weighing
>>>in at around 3500 lbs. with 275 hp and similar torque. It just doesn't add
>>>up. And I haven't even gotten around to the aerodynamic aspects of each
>>>vehicle. We all know that the Dak has the aerodynamics of a brick. A
>>>Firebird is quite a bit better at cutting through the air. Was this an
>>>automatic Firebird? There's got to be something else there to explain why
>>>the Dak won. A stock Firebird LT1 can get to 60 in something like 5.2 sec
>>>while the Dak would be lucky to get there in the mid 7s. And that's a big
>>>difference. Could you tell me how I could get a copy of this article? I
>>>just can't believe it.
>>>
>>>Andy

>Sorry Rob Agnew, I was talking to Rob Robinson. I guess I should be a
>little clearer.

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Andy Callahan University of Kentucky quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net

I agree with you completely, the quickest one that I have seen stock ran
low 15's. But obviously there are a few out there that are a bit quicker.
The only way we learn is through converation, and I have really enjoyed the
attention.
As for the article, I reread it and it talks about the original test being
in a previous magazine, and the races were being held at the NJ track and
it doesn't say which month, so the cool crisp air may have been helping the
truck out a little.

Oh, also remember that these other cars have different options in rear
gears. My dad's 96 LT1 has a higher gear than a Firehawk that he test
drove. It was like two different cars. The Mustangs are the same way, the
only Mustangs I have beaten, at the dragstrip at that, are the high gear
GT's with all the body flairs and drivers that didn't know what they were
doing- still beat them though. (The test Firebird in the article was a 6
speed, but don't know what gear). Tirespin could have been an issue to,
all ran with stock tires.

I can send you a copy of the article through the mail if you would like the
reading of it. Just send me your mailing address if you would like. Or
back issues are avaiable through MOPAR ACTION.

What I enjoy it the uniqueness of the truck. The idea that a $15,000 truck
with maybe 1,000 in modifications can beat a stock $23,000 Mustang or
Firebird in power just really excites me. The look on their faces are just
awarding enough. I know if I really want to go fast, the Mustang, Camaro
of Firebird is the way to go. I have nothing against these cars, their
makers should be proud and it's the reputation that they have built that
gives us the high expectations to strive for. (boy that sounds like a
teacher doesn't it?) But to be able to look inconspicuous and still haul
the furnuture, or the garbage, or this month, the Christmas tree and still
go quick is the way for me, and from what I hear alot of others on the
list.

Hope we can continue this somehow, and I love reading of how our trucks
run. I am, and will be for a while, piddling with mine to go faster
without hurting the practicallity and the dependablity of the truck.

Thanks for the fun.

Red 96 Dakota Sport V8 3.55 Burgundy 68 Barracuda Fastback
Shortbed, Standard Cab 318-904 8 3/4 rear3.23 sure-grip
K&N filterpack-clone Moser cut van axles w 11" drums
Rhino performance muffler Duals with Formula S exhaust tips
w/dual exhaust Power steering/Dealer installed
                                        airconditioning