Re: fuel mileage

From: Cosmicfrog@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 01:13:10 EST

<< The shell helps a little, but really doesn't make better mileage from
 what I have experienced
 in the past. The 150# weight makes it a wash I think. We had about a
 15-20 mph gusting
 head/crosswind for about 250 miles of the trip. Rain the remaining 126
 miles. >>

   I've had my 1993 V-6 since new. I've tried all the different
configurations and watched the mileage. With an open bed I got about 20
m.p.g. on the highway. The current setup is with a camper shell on the back.
It's about the same. I tried running with the tailgate down and noticed no
difference what ever. The best mileage was with a tonnau cover over the back.
My mileage got up to 23.2 on one trip. Alas, large objects require it to be
folded back and it was a bear to strech back over the bed in the winter.