Re: V8 oil leak

From: Cosmicfrog@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 01:08:15 EST

<< My 1996 V8 Dakota has 25,000 miles on it and when I pulled it out of the
 garage yesterday, I found 2 drops of (clean) oil on the garage floor.

 Upon further investigation (crawling under the truck), I find the
 inspection plate and transmission covered with some oil and dirt.

 I can't tell if it is a rear main seal, but I can kindof see the back of
 the beerbarrel intake has some oil (and dirt) around the oil pressure
 sending unit and distributor. >>

   I've had a slight leak on the intake of my '93 Dakota for a couple of
years. It's never gotten bad enough to cause any problems or warrant taking
the truck out of service. It seems to be a seepage around the intake from
underneath. I suspect the repeated warming and cooling over the last 60K
miles has caused the seal around the bottom of the intake to weaken.