Re: Auto Vs. Manual???

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 09:47:55 EST

> ....I do admit however that most of the auto trannies that I know that
> have gone bad are earlier models(88-92).......I also say that one minor
> draw back like that shouldn't sway anyone from buying a certain
> vehicle. Totally personal opinion on what transmission to get...
> Pete

I will stick with autos personally, have never had a problem out of them.
And as far as the towing capacity evryone keeps mentioning, the difference
is only 200 lbs (And I'm pretty sure the only reason for this is the fact
the auto tranny weighs more than a stick and so theirs that much less
weight the suspension can handle, not because the auto has less power),
that's not enough to make enough difference one way or another, I bet you
an auto would pull the 6700# trailer just as well, if not better, than a
stick, don't care what their little recommendation says, that is based on
the weakest part of the suspension and their is a lot of leeway built into
that recommendation... Heck in my dad's auto ram the recommended towing
capacity is 7200 lbs, I've pulled 9000 lbs with no problem, it still
had lots of power and plenty of pick up when taking off, had no engine
strain and it never hesitated, i gave it gas and it was gone, was going 70
down the interstate with no problem......

Bruce