Re: Re: Dakota purchase questions

From: Cosmicfrog@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 19:39:49 EST

<< Are the P235/70R15 with 15x8 wheels worth holding out for? Anybody feel
 that they provide a significant performance improvement over the
 P215/75R15 tires with 15x7 wheels? >>

  On my 1993 Dakota I replaced the 215/75 tires with 225/70. This gives the
same circumference as the factory tires but gives a wider foot print.
Therefore, no speedometer changes needed. I bought my truck with the extra
heavy duty suspension setup and between this and the wider tires it takes
curves like it was glued to the road.
   Since I'm lazy, I removed the aluminum alloy wheels and replaced them with
the steel basic rims which I painted to match the truck. I also put a set of
police hubcaps on it. I prefer the "plain jane" look but this was done with
durability in mind. A good whack in a pot hole will crack an alloy wheel but
only bend a steel one. Sometimes, a good pop with a hammer will same the rim.
    Now I don't have to clean all those little slots and I can live with the
extra unsprung weight and rotational mass.