Re: milage

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 19:39:50 EST

At 10:37 AM 12/1/97 -0800, you wrote:
>} My 92 4x4 V8 3.90's truck gets about 11-12 town and 14-16
hiway......This is
>} after almost 95k miles.....
>}
>} How are you folks getting such good mileage???
>}
>} I have been on this list almost since its inception, and I could never
>} figure out how there are folks getting 15-16 around town.....Gearing?? A
>} very light foot? (I tend to skoot around pretty agressively!!!! :-> )
>
>You call that good? 3.55, V8, 2WD, 5 speed, club cab. 17 around town,
>19 on the freeway. The trick to good milage around town is to keep the
>rpm down. With the 5-speed I can floor it and shift at 2500 rpm.
>
>Can somebody with one of those milage meter thingys built in tell me
>what your truck gets vs. speed? I have a feeling the mileage really
>starts to drop when I go over 70 mph. What does the readout say at
>50, 60, 70, and 80 mph? Also at low speeds does 5th gear really get
>any milage improvement over 4th (or lockout OD). I'm guessing 5th
>doesn't help until about 50 mph.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Frank Ball 1UR-M

Wasn't 1992 a TBI pre-magnum engine? A friend of mine has an 89 4x4 6 cyl.
and he says the gas mileage is absolutely horrid. I do much better with my
1997 V8. I can't remember his exact mpg, but I don't want to confuse the
issue with Imperial gallons :).

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.