Re: : Re:Kick a mustang (was Dakota puchase questions)

From: Terry Hebert (hebert1@windsor.igs.net)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 22:47:05 EST

cvidos@io.com wrote:

> Dude, you've GOT to tell me where you get your drugs! Maybe my Honda
> will whip up on those Stanks and Birds, too! :)
>
> What, did they put a Dodge tailgate on a Firebird and call it a
> Dakota that could beat Mustangs? :)
>
> On the other hand, I'm VERY well aware of how fast a Dakota can be
> with just a few little tweaks, and this Firebird owner makes sure to
> NEVER be caught off-guard. There's this one pesky Dak owner here in
> Austin that drives a silver-grey 94 that thinks he's gonna catch me
> one day. Funny thing about dem Dodges: Every time he's anywhere
> within a mile of my car my throttle foot gets twitchy and the gas
> mileage goes down. Hmm, what could be causing that?

   On the other hand, we all know how FAST the GM f-bodies & FORD
mustangs are supposed to be. So many folks are tied to the
manufacturers performance data and the reputation of the vehicle that
they forget the BITE is not always better than the BARK. There's no
doubting the GM f-bodies performance superiority and the FORD mustangs
ease of speed with modification. I think the article quoted shows the
relative performance of the vehicles & drivers on that day. A friend of
mine has a 93 Camaro 6spd that he ordered brand new and it's best was a
14.4@101 mph with the good gears & 275HP. Slightly modified 5.0LX
mustangs would smoke his butt. He rectified that problem with another
125HP. I believe all performance references of the Dakota vs. Mustang,
Camaro, etc... should be made in hindsight of these cars being bone
stock and the Dakota with a few mods. I like the performance of my truck
but I would never compare it in any way to a modified late-model Mustang
or Camaro. I would have no difficulty matching up against a bone-stock
5.0 or 4.6 mustang with my truck I believe the matchup would come down
to the better driver. I do not believe I could hang with a bone stock
F-Body GM but neither of these outcomes factored into my decision to get
a Dakota. Laying rubber in 3rd gear gets a little smile on my face. Try
that in your stock pony car!

Terry