Re: Best Dak finish (paint)

From: 00gtomo@bsuvc.bsu.edu
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 15:37:34 EST

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Jeff Lee wrote:

> Anybody know how the non-metalic clearcoat paints (flame red, black,
> etc.) hold up compared to the metalic pearlcoats (intense blue, emerald
> green, etc.)? I like the flame red on the 98 Dak (this seems to be the

Jeff,

I have a black 92. This summer I had to have the hood and roof repainted.
the body shop guy said that the clearcoat had "died" he also referred to
it as crow's feet. It cost around $300 to have it repainted. The reason
it was so much was the fact that they had to strip all the paint and clear
off.

> Also the same question with reguards to repair, repaint, buffing, etc.
> I've heard that the clearcoats are easier to work with. Any thoughts?
>
> jeff

I had not had any problems until the last time I buffed my truck. After I
did this it looked like someone took a scotch-brite pad to it. I used
Mequire's gentlest buffing compound, the stuff in the cream colored
bottles, then went over it with Mequire's Wax. I think I am gonna have to
have the truck wet-sanded and buffed at a body shop to get the swirls out.

Just my $0.02

Gregg
92 V6 CC, msd ignition and blaster 3 coil, FIPK clone with s-bolt