Re: V8 oil leak

From: Cosmicfrog@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 10:15:02 EST

<<
 On a separate note my old commuter car (An '85 Buick Regal) broke down
 Sunday (Coming down an entrance ramp to an interstate, hit gas to speed
 up, and all of a sudden it hesitated and hitting the gas made it slow down
 instead of speed up, let off gas let it coast down ramp and pulled to side
 of interstate, went dead and wouldn't crank back) had a friend's mechanic
 look at it and he said the timing chain broke and it would cost at least
 $374 to fix (If in the process of breaking the chain didn't damage
 anything else), just wondering if this was a decent price and/or if this
 is a job you could do yourself if you had plenty of time (I have a 3 week
 break coming up for Christmas). Thanx for any help guys...

 Bruce >>

   If you have an interference engine, it may have bent some valves when they
were open but not moving and the pistons were still moving. $374 doesn't
sound too bad. Ask what it would run if you have to pull the head and replace
a valve or two.
   I won't have a front wheel driver as the suspensions are too dainty for my
taste. That's the main reason I bought a Dakota. I also have a '59 Dodge
Royal, '62 Valiant wagon, '77 New Yorker,'78 Trailduster, and an '84 Honda
Magna (well.....Chrysler didn't build motorcycles.).

                                          Regards, Paul