Re: Re: Rear End Growl

From: kmiller (kmiller@cvn.net)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 17:25:31 EST

I don't know if this is anything like I'm experiencing with my Shelby, but
I'm getting bad vibrations at about 65mph in and out of overdrive. I have
already replaced all of the bearings in the rear, u-joints, and tranny
mount. When I jacked it up and ran it up to 70mph, the sound sounded like
it was coming from the rear, but evedenitely not. Next step is to get a
new high stall converter, have the transmission gone over, and replace all
of the cluthes and bearings in the overdrive.

later

Scott Miller

----------
> From: Rader <rlr@bbt.com>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: DML: Re: Rear End Growl
> Date: Thursday, December 04, 1997 10:27 AM
>
> Sam Parthemer wrote:
>
> > >Well, I've been having loads of fun taking my '95 back and forth
between
> > >work and two dealers in order to get a rear end growl fixed under 3/36
> > >warranty.
>
> > I drove too far on the OEM lube, roughly 65000 miles. I was
driving one
> > day
> > at highway speeds, and noticed a faint growl/whine from the truck while
> > under
> > load/and decel under engine braking.
>
> Dammit, this sounds pretty much like mine.
>
> I understand that Schedule B calls for differential lube changes every
> 12K miles, but do not believe that these bearing failures are due to lube
> problems.
>
> > One of the races had 'spalling' on it, is what they told me.
>
> Makes sense to me. I've seen it only one time before; on a marine
outdrive
> that failed (lube contaminated with water). Bearings made all sorts
> of growly noises.
>
> > If you could, get a local diff. shop take a test drive with you
>
> That will be a last resort. I still fully plan on being a royal pain
in the
> ass if I have to, to get this fixed under warranty. There is no way in
Hades