Re: I hate winter! (Any suggestions?)

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 23:02:25 EST

> Some stuff regarding winter and Dakotas:
>
> I am seriously considering making my next Dakota a 4x4. Anyone
> know how much weight the 4x4 adds? (Trying to keep my 1/4 mile times
> down.) :-)
>
> What is everyone doing about driving in the winter? I've already
> got 600-700lbs in the bed, but we had some slushy snow today that
> made driving *very* interesting. (I was driving down the road at a 45
> degree angle. I was still going straight, but it took me a few hundred
> feet to get the truck to track right again. (Fortunately no cars were
> coming the other way.) I've got a set of balding 235/70 Firestone
> Firehawks on now, so I'm thinking of getting a set of cheap steel
> rims with (narrower) Blizzak's on 'em from Tire Rack or some place like
> that. I've also thought about getting one of those winches that you
> can hook up to your trailer ball, just in case I do get in over my head.
>
> Whaddya think? Also, any other ideas or suggestions for getting
> through the winter would be great! :-)
>
> (Is it spring yet?)
> -Jon-

My opinion would be if you're considering getting a 4X4 go for it, 4X4's
kick ass. I mean I've been in situations where in 2wd the truck just spun
it's wheels, but as soon as I dropped it in 4L it didn't spin a single
wheel, I mean during our rainy spring I've just about got stuck pulling
off onto the side of the road in a 2wd, never had that problem in a 4X4.
Of course I'm kinda biased toward 4X's since I've been around them all my
life.....BTW- I'd say your main problem would be the bald stock tires,
first step would be to replace them.

Bruce