Re: I hate winter! (Any suggestions?)

From: John D. Emery (johnemery@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 23:01:23 EST

At 19:48 12/5/97 EST, you wrote:
> Some stuff regarding winter and Dakotas:
>
> I am seriously considering making my next Dakota a 4x4. Anyone
>know how much weight the 4x4 adds? (Trying to keep my 1/4 mile times
>down.) :-)
>
> What is everyone doing about driving in the winter? I've already
>got 600-700lbs in the bed, but we had some slushy snow today that
>made driving *very* interesting. (I was driving down the road at a 45
>degree angle. I was still going straight, but it took me a few hundred
>feet to get the truck to track right again. (Fortunately no cars were
>coming the other way.) I've got a set of balding 235/70 Firestone
>Firehawks on now, so I'm thinking of getting a set of cheap steel
>rims with (narrower) Blizzak's on 'em from Tire Rack or some place like
>that. I've also thought about getting one of those winches that you
>can hook up to your trailer ball, just in case I do get in over my head.
>
> Whaddya think? Also, any other ideas or suggestions for getting
>through the winter would be great! :-)
>
> (Is it spring yet?)
> -Jon-
<grin on> So far winter has not caused me much problem around here. Maybe
its the combination of the 5 speed MANUAL transmission, V-6, and the 3.55SG
Diff. I did have some minor problems during the early fall though, the
back end wanted to get around corners faster than the front end did - maybe
it had something to do with the monsoon season. <grin off>

My DAK has never been in snow, and I really miss it (but I don't miss the
bone chilling cold). Jon, I drove around Buffalo (Lakeview) in the winter
for a few years in a little front wheel drive box and was wishing for a
truck. Enjoy it in your DAK, keep the heater at full blast, then move to a
climate more fit for humans! 8-)

John Emery, ICQ# 4570053
1973 Jeep CJ-5 I-6 4 spd (frame up project)
1995 Dakota CC Sport 4x2 V-6 5 spd 3.55 SG 4wABS LT235/75R15 A/Ts
Phoenix, AZ (and no A/C)